Private Psychiatry Services
Psychiatry is a medical field concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental health conditions. Psychiatrists are medically trained doctors who specialise in psychiatry. Unlike other mental health professionals, such as psychologists and counsellors, psychiatrists must be medically qualified doctors who have chosen to specialise in psychiatry. This means they can prescribe medication as well as recommend other forms of treatment.
Most psychiatrists work as part of community mental health teams (CMHTs), in outpatient clinics or hospital wards. Some carry out sessions in GP surgeries.
Mental health problems diagnosed and treated by a psychiatrist include:
- Anxiety and Depression: GPs treat milder cases, whilst psychiatrists treat moderate to severe patients and conditions that are resistant to treatment.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Bipolar disorder (previously known as manic-depressive illness)
- Schizophrenia and other psychoses
- Personality Disorders
- Eating disorders
- Sleep disorders
The following are specialties within psychiatry:
- General adult psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent psychiatry
- Forensic psychiatry
- Learning disabilities
- Liaison psychiatry
During your first appointment, your psychiatrist will carry out an initial assessment. They’ll look at both your mental and physical health, and may ask:
• about the problem that brought you to see them
• general questions about your life and thoughts
• to carry out a simple physical examination, such as checking your blood pressure – for example, before prescribing certain medications
• for information from other sources, such as your GP, relatives and social workers
After assessing your condition, the psychiatrist may prescribe medication or recommend the most suitable form of treatment for your symptoms.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS (INCLUDING FEES) OR TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT, PLEASE EMAIL: email@example.com
We are registered with most major health insurance providers. Please contact your provider before commencing treatment to find out if you need a GP referral.
Practitioner : Professor Hana Soliman